Old 09-11-2003, 10:02 PM
Compostman

Default Compost Bin Recommendations Needed

"animaux" wrote in message
On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 13:32:12 GMT, "Compostman"

opined:

Tom, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but Victoria's opinion is not
based on true facts. I just went to Smith & Hawken's web page. I

Biostack
costs $89 for three sections. Additional sections are $20 each. I'm not
sure how much shipping is, but I know it's not anywhere as close as what
Victoria says. (I buy most of my stuff from the Smith & Hawken store

near
me, rather than on-line, but I have ordered from the company, and the
shipping charge is similar to any other internet store.) I can tell you
this: In July I ordered a Biostack plus an additional section and had it
sent as a house-warming present to friends who had just purchased a house

in
New Hampshire. I checked my bill and the charge was $127.95. So the
merchandise was $109, and $18.95 was shipping and taxes.

Now as to Victoria's assertion that "They did some experimentation with
plastic compost bins and none of them held up for more than 4 years

without
degrading in the sun." Who is "They?" I have six Biostacks, plus lots

of
additional sections. The oldest is 6 years, the newest was purchased

this
year. I can't tell an significant difference from the oldest and the
youngest, but in reality, the sections get mixed up as I turn the piles.
Note: S&H usually puts the Biostack on sale about once a year. It was on
sale last month for $72. Often they put it on sale in the Spring. Also,

at
the local S&H where I usually shop, I get a 10% discount because of my
membership in a gardening club. I think that S&H is a fairly expensive
store, but the quality is good, and for some reason, I don't think anyone
else makes a container like the Biostack.

By the way, speaking of Victoria's "They." Did you know that they have
conducted research which shows that for every hour one spends on the
internet, the person's life expectancy is reduced by 30 days? Gotta

go!!!!

Hmmm...Taken from:

http://www.smithandhawken.com/jhtml/...TID=72&index=1

Biostack Composter®

# 420067
$89.00

Biostack Single Layer

# 420083
$20.00
($40 add'l shipping)

This is the only composter designed to save your back while improving

your
soil: its three bottomless tiers make turning the pile easy. Built of 60%
recycled polyethylene, it's waterproof, rotproof, rodent-proof, and easy

clean. The hinged lid blocks rain and retains essential heat. Holds 13

cubic
feet. Individual layers also available at right. 28" Sq., 34" H.

That's 40 dollars ADDITIONAL shipping. So, either you are full of shit, or

not,
but it's what they have on their website.

As for "they?" The Tarrant County Cooperative Extension in Texas. Do

you live
in Texas, or Nevada? Tom and I do. Me Texas he Nevada. We have sun 300

days a
year, or darn near close, with way over 120 of those days about 100

degrees.
Very little rain

I just checked out Smith & Hawken's web site and sure enough they say $40
shipping for the $20 single layer, but I checked what the shipping for a
complete Biostack (3 layers) and it is $15.95. Someone at S&H has gone
crazy. I've sent them an e-mail to ask what's going on. As I said in my
message, in July I sent a Biostack and an extra layer to a friend in New
Hampshire for $127.95. As to the "they" which you say is the Tarrant County
Cooperative Extension. Have they published their study? I'm very
skeptical. I recommend putting compost piles or containers in the shade.
But this isn't to protect the plastic containers, but to protect the
composting person from the sun.

--
Compostman
Washington, DC