Old 10-11-2003, 09:44 AM
Martin Sykes

Default Newbie - Will Clay Break Down?

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Rather long history but please bear with it

I am trying to start a veg plot close to my kitchen approx size of plot

5m
3m
Until last weekend the area was covered in:
2-4" pea gravel on
1-2" weak concrete on
plastic membrane on
levelling sand

Having removed all the above I have found the following:

snip

Oops. hit send by mistake.

What I was saying was, improve the drainage of the clay by digging in
gravel. The pea gravel and sand you removed would probably be ideal. Then,
try raising the level of the soil by about 6 inches by putting new topsoil
on top. This should keep the plants out of the worst of the damp, but allow
their roots to get to the mostly nutrient rich clay.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

"Martin Sykes" wrote in message