Old 10-11-2003, 11:43 AM
Jane Ransom

Default Newbie - Will Clay Break Down?

In article , Martin Sykes
writes

What I was saying was, improve the drainage of the clay by digging in
gravel. The pea gravel and sand you removed would probably be ideal. Then,
try raising the level of the soil by about 6 inches by putting new topsoil
on top. This should keep the plants out of the worst of the damp, but allow
their roots to get to the mostly nutrient rich clay.

I have to disagree about how nutritious that heavy grey/blue clay is,
Martin. Have you ever actually seen it, felt it and tried to work with
it?? You can certainly throw pots with it but it is all but impossible
to grow things in, even after years of back breaking work ((

Also, because this plot is at a low point in the garden, it will not
'drain'. As Cormaic always used to say "the water has to have somewhere
to drain *to*".
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.