Old 10-11-2003, 12:02 PM

Default Oh really?

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 23:57:46 GMT, "no one of importance"
wrote:

If I understand correctly, the problem you all are arguing about is that one
person may have put a post from the newsgroup on their own blog or website.

If I'm not mistaken, and I honestly don't think I am, as long as that person
gives the correct attribution to the original writer, they're pretty much
home free. They'd need to cite the date and newgroup as well, but it falls
under the "fair use" exemption, if I'm not mistaken. The problem would only
be if the website didn't include the attribution, but rather quoted it as
their own work.

I think you are mistaken. Using this theory.... say you
have written a book and it's been published.

John Doe then Xeroxes it and sell the copies for $50 each.
They are correctly attributed to you (because he copied the
entire book, including the title page with the author's
name, etc.).

This is a violation of your copyright. And illegal. And so
it should be because instead of you (the author) profiting
from the sale of your works, John Doe is profiting.

However, you are free to read the sources I gave yesterday
and form your own interpretations of them, of course. For
your convenience, I will repeat them he

US Copyright Office - http://www.loc.gov/copyright

The Copyright Site (written by a copyright lawyer) -
http://www.benedict.com

I don't really care all that much, this is the final straw
that broke the camel's back (concerning newsgroups) as far
as I'm concerned. I'm not going to participate in
newsgroups any longer, I give up.

I've fought the trolls and spammers for years, I've filtered
out hundreds (if not thousands) of idiots, I've made a
worthwhile contribution (I hope) to the general welfare of
the Usenet community: but I'll tell you what: The
noise/signal ratio is just too great for me now. I give up
on newsgroups. This was one of the few remaining worthwhile
newsgroups, IMHO.

I'm on several very good mailing lists and although I vastly
prefer the newsgroup *format*, it's sadly necessary to have
the control a mailing list affords.

Pat
--
To email me, remove the trap and type my first
name in its place.