Old 10-11-2003, 12:12 PM
Henriette Kress

Default Oh really?

spamtra wrote:

I'm quite curious as to how you know this for certain. Were you around
when rec.gardens.edible was created?

Yes.

I was here, too, when rec.gardens.edible was split off from rec.gardens.
Being around when a newsgroup is created is not really a sign of any
authority at all - even if you voted for said newsgroup, which I did.

I ask because I know that there are some gatewayed ngs (the same posts
appear in differing internet guises)

It may have been, but not to gardenbanter.co.uk and - even if it had been
- NO ONE has authority to do this. That is *not* how unmoderated Usenet
newsgroups operate.

Ah. So, Pat, what are you going to do about groups.google.com? Because
usenet-to-email, usenet-to-html, usenet-to-whatever gateways been around
in one form or another for ages (probably since usenet began), and will
stay around as long as usenet continues to functions.

I see gardenbanter as just yet another take on that gateway, for those who
don't have usenet access; this one is set up in the spirit of the times,
like most any php-mysql forum (bb? bb2? they all look the same to me.).

Is this better than googlegroups? Dunno. Is it better than a proper usenet
program? Certainly not.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland