Old 10-11-2003, 01:04 PM
Jim W

Default Newbie - Will Clay Break Down?

Jane Ransom wrote:

In article 1g47f12.1eif2kw4ai4sN%00senetnospamtodayta@macunl imited.net
, Jim W writes
Congratulations,.. You have clay soil..

Clay is extremly resiliant..

There is a difference between 'clay soil' and the 'grey/blue' stuff the
OP has (

Yes, there are different types of clay.. Point taken,.. However even
'the grey blue stuff' (I know it, its very very sticky when wet, and
very free of air) the, orange stuff, and the thick creamy brown stuff we
have here in London makes a good basis for a resiliant soil..

However I DO agree that the blue/grey is the worst kind I have come
across.. It can pan into an airtight layer quite easily in my
expewrience.. Hence my advice about DEEP rooting covers (to pierce the
pan)

It just needs a little work and as much organic matter as you can lay
your hands on..

Manure, grass, newspaper, shop waste (eg cardboard and vege's) can all
go towards its upkeep and improvment in different ways.)

Look on the positive side, its still easier to work with than a gravel
pit;-)

Jim