Old 10-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Beecrofter

Default Rotovator/Tiller Recommendation

Getting a unit in the 5hp range I suggest a machine where the engine
is connected to the gearbox driving the tines by belts instead of
gears or shafting.

Because the unit is shared hitting an obstruction that causes the belt
to slip or perhaps break is stll in the realm of pocket change whereas
gears are not. And should the engine need replacement at some time in
the future it is much easier to compensate for differences by varying
belt size.

In addition rear tines with power driven wheels allow the wheels to be
engaged while the tines remain undriven which is a nice feature for
up and down a plank.

____________________________________

"Maurice Bishop" wrote in message
Thanks David

1. Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK.
2. Small amount of land (allotment), but the new machine will be shared
amongst a number of allotment owners.
3. No other tasks.
4. No-one seems to posts (or read) to uk.rec.gardening.

Thanks for your kind attention.

Maurice

________________________________

"David Hill" wrote in message
"........I have been considering the purchase of a 5 HP rotovator and I

am
looking for a product recommendation. ......."

Firstly what part of the world do you live ?
Secondly how much land are you going to work with it?
Thirdly are there any other tasks you will need a machine to do?

If you live in the UK as it looks then why not post this to
uk.rec.gardening.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries