Old 10-11-2003, 03:23 PM
RedForeman ©®

Default Protein Skimming and algea

Skimmers wont' do much, I'll take that off your hands if you want, hee
hee???

Be better off to get a Penguin 330 biowheel, nice filter, it'll do
everything... except remove nitrates.. and if you have a planted tank, you
don't want to remove nitrAtes... do you?

I have to add nitrAtes to get plants to grow, and you're wanting to take
them out?

"spun 12" wrote in message
om...
I been in the hobby for about a year and started off with the hight
tech approach to a planted aquarium. I have 4 wpg of light and
compessed Co2 on a 75g tank.(48Lx24Wx18H) I add ferts on a regular
basis along with water changes every 1-2 weeks. I still have algea
that is on leaves and glass. Some is more brown and some is green. I
just purchased a protein skimmer for next to nothing. I figured I'd
give it a try or a week or two. Has anyone ever used one on a planted
tank? I know that it will take some nutrients away but Ive been having
trouble with nitrate so really I hope to remove that. Any info or
thoughts would be great!

MB in IL