Old 10-11-2003, 05:22 PM
Theo Asir

Default Tip on rooting cuttings...

The only things I did was 'even' heat, humidity and light. Infact
A couple of the cutting I'd planted upside down by mistake
rooted just fine. No chemicals and no mystery.

Who is balefully looking at 14 rooted
New dawns.

Just wanted to say thanks for making rooting seem less
intimidating and congrats on your success! Any tips on
how to get my huge New Dawn to BLOOM? G It will be three
in the spring. Maybe that is the magic number.

Glad to help!
But honestly I never had much success previously.
I could root stuff but every 20 attempts might produce
2-3 successes. I used to get those vege trays with tranparent
covers and coddle the whole thing with root hormones
misting, careful instruction following etc.

Hmm! my new dawn is still in bloom as it will be
till early december. Usually it is my last
rose to finish blooming through the frosts and even snow.

One thing I've noticed with New Dawn is that
once it is fairly large it is an extremely heavy feeder.
Needs a lot of fertilizer and early too.
I typically kick start it with a couple of
cups of mills mix in early march. This is a full
2 months before all my other roses.

You also never get a total flush from it.
It tends to bloom in waves from bottom to top
with a constant scatter of bloom rest of the year.

Its need for long dormancy and hard winters
to encourage blooming is also well known.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City