Old 10-11-2003, 07:12 PM
Sean Hayes

Default introduction & request for tool buying advice

Fair enough - but I still stand by what I said - get a bunch of trees to
play with and some basic tools. It's not much fun having a shiny new branch
cutter and no branches to cut :-)

For what its worth, I have a good quality Japanese curved side branch cutter
(a fabulous tool, and also a Christmas present!), and a flat bladed end on
cutter. But I still don't have a knob cutter. I can usually get a flat
enough cut to heal over with the tools I have, especially with a little
extra help from a penknife. For jin's I use pruners and crush and tear back
with the pliers - gives a nice natural effect. Typically if I want a hole
(uro), I cut flattish with the side cutters and then gouge it out with a
small chisel and maybe put in a little wet earth to let it rot back
natuarally (on deciduous).

If you are looking after a nursery full of trees then a knob cutter is
probably worth it, if you have less than 20 trees (which is about the number
I can give sufficient attention to) I think your (wife's) money might be
better spent elsewhere.

One thing you might ask for is a large (10 Gallon+) chinese water basin and
a high quality watering can. Catch rainwater in the basin - much better for
the trees than tap water and it looks good in the garden too, and having a
good can makes your daily watering a pleasure rather than a burden.

Cheers,
Sean.

wrote in message
"Sean Hayes" wrote:

For tools I'd wait for six months or so to make sure you are really

hooked
before splashing out on anything expensive

Well, I'm looking for tools before next spring mainly because my wife just
asked for ideas on what I'd like for Christmas.