Old 10-11-2003, 09:04 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Remind me why I wanted rain?

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

I told you befo it's a criminal act to interfere with
e-communications without the consent of both the recipient and the
sender.

Then my ISP is a criminal. He is interfering with the spam which is
intended for me. I asked him to do so, but I am as certain as I can be

that
he did not ask the spammers for their permission to interfere on my

behalf.
He has succeeded in reducing the spam I receive in my inbox to between 1

and
2% of what it used to be. He has also succeded in removing Swen-like
attacks to zero.

Swen is different: you don't have to open the interpersonal
correspondence to kill it.

Intercepting and scanning personal mail is a criminal offence unless the
recipient is your employee and usimg your system to receive his/her
mail.

This was enacted before spam became a real problem, but the law applies
in principle.

It would be up to the DPP to initiate proceedings on a complaint.
Probably, with regard to spam, in the admittedly unlikely event of it
going to court the beaks would find in favour of your ISP.

Ah, I am so glad my ISP would not be sent to jail.
In the meantime, he is quite actively and successfully interfering with my
incoming mail without the consent of the senders.
He has reduced my spam from around 150 a day to around 2 or 3.

I have checked the first 1000 or so of the intercepted mail, and have not
found a solitary item which was wrongly intercepted. From now on I will
just delete it all daily in one fell swoop without looking.

Just the legal costs of defending such an action could bankrupt some (if
not all) small ISPs though, which is why Zetnet for one wrote a killfile
into its software, but won't intercept it on the server.

And who on earth is going to do the suing or prosecuting? Which masochist
wants to make a laughing stock of him/herself?

Franz