Old 10-11-2003, 10:13 PM
martin

Default Remind me why I wanted rain?

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:30:01 +0000, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

My mistake. I was thinking of both virii and spammed email.

pedant

Virus is a collective noun.

One solitary influenza virus may be inspected under the electron
microscope.microscope.
Granted, I don't know whether an influenza and a legionnaire'd disease virus
lying side by side should be referred to as a pair of viruses or a pair of
virii. (On the assumption that the legionnaire's disease thingy is indeed a
virus at all)

It wouldn't be virii anyway, would it? That'd be the plural of virius.

Thanks for helping me to discover that an OED CD made for Win95 won't
run with WinXP :-(((

--
Martin