Old 11-11-2003, 12:02 AM
Mark

Default Wintering over artichokes

I have raised 4 artichoke plants to a size about 2 to 3 feet across,
from leaf tip to leaf tip. This was a strain that had the possibility
of maturing in one long growing season, or taking the standard 2 years
to grow mature enough to bear fruit.

Here's my question: The winters here (zone 6) rarely get below 0
degrees (F)... Lots of winters, the temp never dips below the low 20s
or high teens. I hope (fingers crossed) that these temps are "high"
enough so these plants will survive and go on to mature next year.

In order to winter them over, should I cut them back before I lay
on a thick cover of straw, or should I just cover them as is, leaves
and all?

Thanks for any help.

Mark

P.S. I'm gardening in raised beds, with a fairly good mix of topsoil
to compost. Is there any particular additions/fertilizers that
artichokes really "like"?