Old 11-11-2003, 02:02 AM
JNJ

Default help with insect id

can someone help me ID an insect? The insect is a bettle, yellow color
with black spots. I always thought it was a colorado potato bettle, but
then I looked that up and it doesn't look anything like it.

The spots are arranged like this: (- is the head)

_ooo
ooo

below and offset about 1/2 a spot from the top spots are another row of 3
spots more or less on the sides of the bettle. bettle is approximately 8
mm in length (6 mm body, 2 mm head, antenna length ~7mm) and 3 mm in body
width. carapace is not as round as a red ladybug. it's rather
rectanglur. spots are not perfectly round either, having about the same
proportions as the bettle's body. spots are a little over 1 mm in
diameter.

I've seen them in my garden, but this particular one was loitering around
inside the house. Right now he's under a glass and depending on what you
guys tell me, he'll either go smushy or get out of jail free.

I thought someone posted an insect id site earlier, but I can't find it
now.

How about a cucumber beetle?

http://troyb.com/photo/gallery/065-3...mberBeetle.htm

http://insects.tamu.edu/fieldguide/bimg182.html