Old 11-11-2003, 02:12 AM
Salty Thumb

Default help with insect id

"JNJ" wrote in
:

can someone help me ID an insect? The insect is a bettle, yellow
color with black spots. I always thought it was a colorado potato
bettle, but then I looked that up and it doesn't look anything like
it.

The spots are arranged like this: (- is the head)

_ooo
ooo

below and offset about 1/2 a spot from the top spots are another row
of 3 spots more or less on the sides of the bettle. bettle is
approximately 8 mm in length (6 mm body, 2 mm head, antenna length
~7mm) and 3 mm in body width. carapace is not as round as a red
ladybug. it's rather rectanglur. spots are not perfectly round
either, having about the same proportions as the bettle's body. spots
are a little over 1 mm in diameter.

I've seen them in my garden, but this particular one was loitering
around inside the house. Right now he's under a glass and depending
on what you guys tell me, he'll either go smushy or get out of jail
free.

I thought someone posted an insect id site earlier, but I can't find
it now.

How about a cucumber beetle?

http://troyb.com/photo/gallery/065-3...mberBeetle.htm

http://insects.tamu.edu/fieldguide/bimg182.html

http://www.immersivephoto.com/Digita...eetle2214.html

http://oregonstate.edu/Dept/nurspest...mber_beetle.ht

James

Yes! That's exactly it. Thanks!

The websites you provided don't make it out to be especially pestilent, but
inclined to go smushy on this guy. Anybody think I should let it go?

Thanks again,

- ST