Old 11-11-2003, 02:32 AM
Compostman

Default Compost Bin Recommendations Needed

"animaux" wrote in message
On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 21:47:58 GMT, "Compostman"

opined:

I just checked out Smith & Hawken's web site and sure enough they say $40
shipping for the $20 single layer, but I checked what the shipping for a
complete Biostack (3 layers) and it is $15.95. Someone at S&H has gone
crazy. I've sent them an e-mail to ask what's going on. As I said in my
message, in July I sent a Biostack and an extra layer to a friend in New
Hampshire for $127.95. As to the "they" which you say is the Tarrant

County
Cooperative Extension. Have they published their study? I'm very
skeptical. I recommend putting compost piles or containers in the shade.
But this isn't to protect the plastic containers, but to protect the
composting person from the sun.

It says 40 dollars EXTRA, which is on top of the regular shipping on items

which
are determined by the level of cost.

I should have said Denton County. I made an error. I don't recall if it

was
published or not. Several different bins were given out and within 3-4

years
all started showing signs of degradation caused by the sun.

When Tom asked the question, I answered him based on the knowledge of

where he
lives and where I live and how we both have intense heat and in general,

the
solar exposure for many, many long months of 10 on the scale of high solar
degradation to our skin, and just about everything else. It wasn't an off

the
cuff answer. There were factors.

Nobody at S&H has gone mad. I've been ordering from them for years and

they
always have pricey shipping on bulky items. It's not a mistake.

Victoria

Victoria, I'm responding to the S&H charge of $40 for shipping the $20
single Biostack layer. It's not actually bulky, because it comes in four
pieces. And shipping for the full biostack, which contains 3 layers plus a
heavy lid is only $15.95. So $15.95 for 3 layers and a top, in contrast to
$40 for just one layer doesn't make sense. Plus I ordered both a full
biostack and an extra layer and the total cost was 127.95. The cost of the
items was $109, and shipping plus tax was $18.95. I've asked S&H for an
explanation. I'll share it when I hear from them.
--
Compostman
Washington, DC