Old 11-11-2003, 02:02 PM
Allview

Default Pyrocantha Questions

I am considering growing some pyrocantha - Zone 6, central Maryland.
Does anyone have some experience with this plant? I would like to know the
pros and cons.

I'm interested in the replies you get. I've had one beside the house for many
years. A couple times we have cut it almost to the ground because it rubbed on
second story windows and kept the girls awake at night. I don't do any planned
trimming - just see a branch that is getting in my way and cut it after the
berries are gone.

Birds love the berries. Mockingbirds, cardinals, robins are ones I've seen
enjoying them. I never heard of anyone eating them.

I planted 2 more this year along a fence. You have to give them lots of room.
They get big and nothing kills them. Once in a while they get a harmless
mildew.

Remember that they have thorns. This makes them hard to trim and get rid of
the trimmings. But it also makes a nice barrier where you don't want kids
taking a shortcut through your yard.

I am in love with pyracantha.

Marilyn in central Ohio kind of on a line between zones 5 and 6.