Old 11-11-2003, 04:22 PM
JNJ

Default help with insect id

Yes! That's exactly it. Thanks!

You're welcome.

The websites you provided don't make it out to be especially pestilent,

but
inclined to go smushy on this guy. Anybody think I should let it go?

If you have a vegetable garden then no -- you'll need to handle them before
a large population is able to build up. They tend to prefer the tender
young growth and can transmit bacteria wilt from plant to plant; the larvae
will eat growth underground. FWIW, striped or spotted, the issues and
resolutions are typically the same.

Control measures vary. Natural predators include braconid wasp, tachinid
flies, and beneficial nematodes. (Nematodes are good because they interrupt
the life cycle -- they get the larvae in the ground before they mature to
adults.) I've read that planting nasturtiums, catnip, tansy, or radishes
near your veges will help keep them at bay but I've never tried it. You can
spray with Neem as well.

Hope that helps!

James