Old 11-11-2003, 04:32 PM
JNJ

Default Pyrocantha Questions

I am considering growing some pyrocantha - Zone 6, central Maryland.
Does anyone have some experience with this plant? I would like to know

the
pros and cons. I plan to plant it along a wooden fence. I like the idea

of
it being an evergreen - or nearly so - and having edible berries. Has
anyone actually made any jelly or jam or other things from the berries? I
read that it takes a frost or two to make them less acidic. How fast does
it grow?

I planted one on a trellis a few years back to cover over a gap between ours
and the neighbor's home. It grew very well -- it looks fantastic IMHO.
This year is it's greatest berry production so far and it's also the first
time I've pruned it (late summer). It's actually right behind our AC unit
so it's a pretty tough plant.

They do like a fair amount of water -- we have a downspout from the roof
that empties nearby so it gets plenty of water during the rainy periods,
although the area does drain well so it's not wading in water mind you. I'm
seriously considering planting a few more of these in the yard. The only
down side is the thorns -- definitely made for an interesting pruning.
Grin

We're in SW Ohio, Zone 6. Temps here are very similar to Maryland -- we
just came back from Gaithersburg about a year ago, after being out there for
the winter. :-P

James