Old 11-11-2003, 04:42 PM
White Monkey

Default Want to narrow search terms

Hello Katrina, It would be impossible to get a name for your Phal, there
are
thousands &
thousands of hybrids out there.
Maybe if you contact the grower/vendor, but usually when they sell

them
& know the
name, there is a tag.
Bottom line is that, if you must have a name then you have to purchase
one with a
label. No name plants are less inexpensive but the flowers are still
beautiful.
http://www.phalaenopsis.net/photos/p3_yellow.htm
Cheers Wendy

It's not that I must have a name, it's just that I'm interested in having
them when I can, and I enjoy the research process. I'm startled to see you
use the term "impossible"... I'd buy "very difficult and possibly
impossible". I was able to identify a sale-table phal clone I got awhile
back as a "pink stripes", and in the non-phal's I have been able to identify
my wildcat "Doris" I got off a market table just labeled "orchids", but I
also have a purple phal that I am certain is lost, taxonomy-wise, in a maze
of generic hybridization.Thanks for the link to the pics! I understand about
variation plant by plant and even year by year on the same plant, but there
are still some norms, and I maintain hope that with more idle research in my
"free" time, monickers may drift up for these new two. And my cambria. But
no, it's not a big deal to me--I'm getting orchids that really appeal to me
personally, as I come upon them, not ones I have any reason to believe are
worth money or prestige in any way, so it is enough to me that they're
beautiful.
Thanks,
Katrina

---