Old 11-11-2003, 05:02 PM
Tom J

Default Pyrocantha Questions

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote in message
I am considering growing some pyrocantha - Zone 6, central Maryland.
Does anyone have some experience with this plant? I would like to know the
pros and cons. I plan to plant it along a wooden fence. I like the idea of
it being an evergreen - or nearly so - and having edible berries. Has
anyone actually made any jelly or jam or other things from the berries? I
read that it takes a frost or two to make them less acidic. How fast does
it grow?

If you start with a good container grown plant or 2, you should have a berry
bearing bush in a couple of years. They can also be trained along fences and
walls.
http://www.geocities.com/tomj_ga/
Look at the 2nd photo down. This is 4 plants that cover the whole front of the
house. I am getting too old to climb the ladder and keep it trimmed, so this
will been the last year for them. I have already sawed the main trunks apart.

Hawthorne jelly is nothing to brag about other than it's something you only
get from county fairs and such. It grows wild in the deep south, so we do
have a plentiful supply of berries to make jelly here. I never gather the
berries from the ones on the front of the house. The birds eat the berries in
the spring as they build their new nest in the vines.

Now, if you want to make jelly or jam, put one measure of sugar for every
measure of berries in a stainless or glass covered container and let set 24
hours at room temperature. Bring to a boil and boil until the berries have a
"clear" look. I let this cool to just warm and then process in the blender on
high until completely pulverized. Add a little lemon juice and cook this to a
jam or strain and cook to a jelly. Like I said, not a lot of taste though.

Tom J