Old 11-11-2003, 06:02 PM
paghat

Default garden stone retaining wall

(sams) wrote in message
om...
Hi,

Iam thinking of putting a 2' tall garden stone retaining wall in my
back yard. Probably for 15' long, approximately 1/3 of the backyard
width. My backyard is higher than the front yard. Iam in a rolling
slope. And thinking of filling this with whatever good and cheap and
make it look like a patio or flower bed or a water fall.

Any good site on the web to improve my imagination, and make it a
possiblility?
I would like to get more suggestions and what will be a good plan to
improve the property value and turn something sore to the eye into
beautiful. My thinking is to DIY a granite stone wall with no mortar,
but wife is afraid of snake and other creatures making it a home.

I've used stacking bricks & ritzier stackable stones to create garden
barriers & in one long spot a cliff wall where was formerly a slope. They
never shift, they do exactly what they're supposed to without being
cemented in. A neighbor made a major earth-retaining wall out of
stacking-bricks about head-high, & this seems pretty stable too, despite
the unusual height, but when I looked at it I had to admit it looked
tacky. It looked like some amateur with no finer option stacked some
blocks bought at Lowe's or Home Depot. He'd even installed one of those
black moulded fish ponds, looked about as natural as some kids' plastic
wading pool. All the guy needed to complete the effect would be some
plastic flowers stuck in the cracks of the wall, & a chorus line of
garden-trolls around the pond.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl: