Old 11-11-2003, 06:02 PM
Grandpa

Default Pyrocantha Questions

Mine grow runners over a foot long annually, in fact I have to trim them
twice a year to keep them manageable. Full growth is more like 4"-6"
annually though. They have sharp thorns that are wicked and always find
your arms when trimming. Birds love to be in and around them for sfety
I guess, and they like the berries too. Mine get nothing but a lot of
hot Albuquerque sunshine daily and some water every week or two. They
are real healthy. My wife and grandaughter like to munch the berries
but we've not made any jam from them - yet. All in all they are a great
bush if you want a barrier between you and something or someone.

Albuquerque, NM - Zone 7

Paul E. Lehmann wrote:

I am considering growing some pyrocantha - Zone 6, central Maryland.
Does anyone have some experience with this plant? I would like to know the
pros and cons. I plan to plant it along a wooden fence. I like the idea of
it being an evergreen - or nearly so - and having edible berries. Has
anyone actually made any jelly or jam or other things from the berries? I
read that it takes a frost or two to make them less acidic. How fast does
it grow?