Old 11-11-2003, 07:02 PM
Ian Wolfe

Default Remind me why I wanted rain?

In message
Kay Easton wrote:

In article , Jaques d'Alltrades
writes
The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

It wouldn't be virii anyway, would it? That'd be the plural of virius.

4th declension noun would be virii.

Can't remember what the 4th declension is. But isn't -us ending normally
1st declension?

I can't remember what viri
translates as

men?

(and I've lost my huge Latin dictionary) but it isn't the
plural of virus.

It wouldn't be unusual for the same latin word to mean several things

I've just read the above. If this helps...

vir (2nd Declension) = man (as opposed to woman). Plural = viri.

virus (2nd Declension, but Neuter gender) was probably never used in
the plural. Certainly was not virii.

I would strongly encourage the Anglicised plural ie viruses.

--
Ian Wolfe.
Linlithgow. Birthplace of Mary, Queen of Scots.