Old 11-11-2003, 08:23 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Newbie - Will Clay Break Down?

In article ,
Franz Heymann wrote:

Interesting. One thing that I didn't notice it saying explicitly
is that many nutrients bind to clay particles (but not to sand,
and only a little to peat), so soils with little clay leach very
badly and are often very low on nutrients.

I wonder how non-peat material of organic origin behaves in this respect?
Well rotted manure, for example.

Humus is the other material to which nutrients bind, yes. I believe
that they bind less well than to clay, but that could well be wrong.
The problem with humus is that it is short-lived (i.e. a year or two),
and so needs replenishing. I have no idea of the transfer properties
for nutrients between oxidising humus and fresh humus.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.