Old 11-11-2003, 09:23 PM
mel turner

Default More berries

In article ,
wrote...

In his Flowering plants of the world, Heywood states that the fruit in

Lauraceae is a berry or drupaceous

mel turner schreef
And I've seen and cited similar statements. Of course they mean by

this that the fruit is a drupe in some species [= with stony endocarp
present] and a 1-seeded berry in others [i.e., endocarp not stony].

+ + +
It is always dangerous to assume too much. If Heywood intended "berry or
drupe" he would have said so. What exactly he means is a little uncertain,
but it is clear he perceives a problem
+ + +

How so? I don't see how "berry or drupaceous" could mean anything
different from "a berry or a drupe". I'm pretty sure fruits that
are "drupaceous" are just drupes. AFAICS, it's simply the
adjectival form.

Or are there any fruits other than drupes that are "drupaceous"?

[snip]

cheers