Old 11-11-2003, 10:02 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Default Latest & Greatest in Place of Cronquist '68

In article , Frank Reichenbacher
writes
I've been out of the botanical loop for quite a while and when I went to
look up something in my Cronquist 1968 I found that it has grown feet and
wandered away from my abode.

Is there anything to replace it of equal utility, portability, and
comprehensiveness?

Frank

This is the Amazon Page for Judd et al

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...id=1068585745/
sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-6352678-0573556?v=glance&s=books

and for the 1993 edition of Heywood.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...id=1068586076/
sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-6352678-0573556?v=glance&s=books

A recentish (1992) book by Cronquist (which I suspect fails on
portability)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...id=1068586444/
sr=1-11/ref=sr_1_11/104-6352678-0573556?v=glance&s=books

BTW, while digging on Amazon I find that Vol. 6 of the Families and
Genera of Flowering Plants is in press. To quote "In the present volume
- the sixth of this series - 48 flowering plant families comprising a
total of 712 genera are treated. They represent the newly designed
eurosid orders Celastrales, Oxalidales and Rosales and the asterid
orders Cornales and Ericales. The recognition of these ordinal concepts
is the result of numerous recent gene sequence analyses which, for the
first time in angiosperm systematics, have provided a reliable higher
order classification. The concept of Ericales is largely expanded beyond
its conventional limits to make it monophyletic and now includes parts
of the erstwhile Ebenales, Lecythidales, Primulales and other orders.
The revised circumscription of families such as Ericaceae, Celastraceae
and Cunoniaceae owes much to the application of recent molecular
studies, and for the same reason in the primulalean families, a complete
remodeling of family limits is proposed."

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...id=1068586727/
sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/104-6352678-0573556?v=glance&s=books

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley