Old 12-11-2003, 12:02 AM
Lee

Default garden stone retaining wall

years ago, in the '30's one of my aunts had a lot down from a gravel
road that went VERY STEEPLY down to a creek. this was in Missouri near
ST Louis and the property sprouted rocks like the garden sprouts
radishes. each rain brought more up. she patiently gathered them each
day as weather and time permited and built a rock, morterless wall
about 2 feet wide at the top across the front of the property to
protect it from water from the road, then down the north side going
down the very step hill. i loved it.. have loved it in my memories for
years but when i visited the place in about 1984 new owners, had torn
it all down saying that it had become rat infested.. i think i would
have done something about the rats.. not the wall! it had been there
about 40 years with no breaks.
lee h

(sams) wrote in message om...
Hi,

Iam thinking of putting a 2' tall garden stone retaining wall in my
back yard. Probably for 15' long, approximately 1/3 of the backyard
width. My backyard is higher than the front yard. Iam in a rolling
slope. And thinking of filling this with whatever good and cheap and
make it look like a patio or flower bed or a water fall.

Any good site on the web to improve my imagination, and make it a
possiblility?
I would like to get more suggestions and what will be a good plan to
improve the property value and turn something sore to the eye into
beautiful. My thinking is to DIY a granite stone wall with no mortar,
but wife is afraid of snake and other creatures making it a home.

Appreciate any adivise or directions.

Sam.