Old 12-11-2003, 01:42 AM
hermine stover

Default garden stone retaining wall

On 11 Nov 2003 15:58:41 -0800, (Lee) wrote:

years ago, in the '30's one of my aunts had a lot down from a gravel
road that went VERY STEEPLY down to a creek. this was in Missouri near
ST Louis and the property sprouted rocks like the garden sprouts
radishes. each rain brought more up. she patiently gathered them each
day as weather and time permited and built a rock, morterless wall
about 2 feet wide at the top across the front of the property to
protect it from water from the road, then down the north side going
down the very step hill. i loved it.. have loved it in my memories for
years but when i visited the place in about 1984 new owners, had torn
it all down saying that it had become rat infested.. i think i would
have done something about the rats.. not the wall! it had been there
about 40 years with no breaks.

For the rats, you need a couple of Patterdale Terriers! tiny dogs, as
hard as a baseball, and devoted to rooting out and murdering vermin.
POISON FREE rat control..However, i have a feeling the disposessed
rats will find somewhere else, having lived in Boston, a city famous
for waterfront rats larger than a medium sized cat.
I LOVE the story about your AUNT!

my husband is from MO.

hermine