Old 12-11-2003, 02:32 AM
kenwoodward

Default Want to narrow search terms

Also be aware that even if your orchid has a tag, that tag may be wrong. I
have several that I am sure are mislabeled, so it is still important to do
the research in order to verify what you have. In stores that don't know or
don't care about the orchids, it is all too easy for labels to be misplaced,
but it can happen to vendors that know and care too. At shows, there may be
crowds of people handling labels and replacing them in random pots or moving
seedlings from one tray to another. Always be somewhat suspicious about
what you are buying.
________________
Ken Woodward
Newton, MA
http://kwoodward.net

"White Monkey" wrote in message
m...
Hello Katrina, It would be impossible to get a name for your Phal, there

are
thousands &
thousands of hybrids out there.
Maybe if you contact the grower/vendor, but usually when they sell

them
& know the
name, there is a tag.
Bottom line is that, if you must have a name then you have to

purchase
one with a
label. No name plants are less inexpensive but the flowers are still
beautiful.
http://www.phalaenopsis.net/photos/p3_yellow.htm
Cheers Wendy

It's not that I must have a name, it's just that I'm interested in having
them when I can, and I enjoy the research process. I'm startled to see you
use the term "impossible"... I'd buy "very difficult and possibly
impossible". I was able to identify a sale-table phal clone I got awhile
back as a "pink stripes", and in the non-phal's I have been able to

identify
my wildcat "Doris" I got off a market table just labeled "orchids", but I
also have a purple phal that I am certain is lost, taxonomy-wise, in a

maze
of generic hybridization.Thanks for the link to the pics! I understand

about
variation plant by plant and even year by year on the same plant, but

there
are still some norms, and I maintain hope that with more idle research in

my
"free" time, monickers may drift up for these new two. And my cambria. But
no, it's not a big deal to me--I'm getting orchids that really appeal to

me
personally, as I come upon them, not ones I have any reason to believe are
worth money or prestige in any way, so it is enough to me that they're
beautiful.
Thanks,
Katrina

---