Old 12-11-2003, 03:22 AM
Amy Chan

Default Lethal temperatures to bugs?

Hi, all,

I have a potted mini I recently brought in that has a small mealy bug
infestation (1 unopened rose bud, 1 leaf bud.) The temp now in NYC
ranges from 40-60F.

I had brought the pot inside during the three consecutive days it hit
freezing. That must have brought on some eggs to hatch.

I wonder how low a temp the mealybugs can withstand. I wish to have
temperature kill the sapsuckers instead of spraying chemicals on my
dear mini. Don't want to damage the plant, though.

I realize eggs can withstand freezing temps, and that some bugs burrow
to survive. But I just want to freeze out the recent infestation.
What temps are ideal to do so without hurting said mini?