Old 12-11-2003, 09:42 AM
White Monkey

Default Want to narrow search terms

"kenwoodward" wrote in message
Also be aware that even if your orchid has a tag, that tag may be wrong.

have several that I am sure are mislabeled, so it is still important to do
the research in order to verify what you have. In stores that don't know

or
don't care about the orchids, it is all too easy for labels to be

misplaced,
but it can happen to vendors that know and care too. At shows, there may

be
crowds of people handling labels and replacing them in random pots or

moving
seedlings from one tray to another. Always be somewhat suspicious about
what you are buying.

No kidding! That is VERY good advice. Even as I was buying this miltonia,
here, I knew it obviously wasn't a cymbidium, which was what the label said.
And my Wildcat Doris (probable) was on a table just labeled "orchids", but
had a tag in it that said "odontoglossum". I had to look at dozens and
dozens of odontoglossums before I decided "definitively" that my niggling
little instinct was (almost certainly) right, and that this plant might be
related to those or hybridized from them, but is not, on its own, purely
one. Then I widened my search terms and found that this plant resembles
closely a great number of Wildcat Doris strains and plants online, and not
so strongly other wildcats or other orchids, so that's what I'm calling it
(pending any further information).

The good news is that a digital camera has descended into my husband's life
(and mine, once his new-toy-syndrome wears off and I can get my hands on
it), so I'll be posting some of these soon and will ask people for
suggestions and input on these fellas. Unfortunately, the wildcat's done
blooming for this year, so that one'll have to wait.

Thanks,

Katrina

---