Old 12-11-2003, 04:02 PM
Peter H

Default Grub Worms

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
news
Peter H said:

If anyone doesn't know what turf looks like when pesticides aren't used

you
only have to take a stroll through a schoolyard or check out a boulevard

in
Toronto these days. What you have there is not really turf, it's more a
combination of knotweed, dandelion, blackmedic and dirt. Lawns as we have
grown to know them will be a thing of the past in Toronto.

That's more lack of watering and improper mowing than lack of pesticides
(along with, in the case of the school grounds, compaction unalieviated by
core aeration). Those areas also probably could use an annual dose of
slow-release fertilizer in the fall and never get any fertilizer, ever.

Pesticides
would not be enough turn those lawns lush. (In the past, maybe, they

would
have had a more frequent mowing schedule, and even some fertilization, but
that would take more employees and is an easy thing to cut back on to save
money.)

My 'showpiece' front lawn has not seen a pesticide in 10+ years. It does
get watered, mowed regularly (high, often, with a very sharp blade and the
clippings mulched), and fertilized (organic or slow-release fertilizers,

late
May, early Sept, late October -- all low-phosphorus formulations as
recommended for watershed protection).

--
Pat K. ('someplace.net' is comcast)

(attributed to Don Marti)

Well all I can say is that in 10+ years of professional lawn care I never
saw a "showpiece" lawn that was maintained w/out pesticides. In theory is
suppose that it's possible as long as you've got the time to pull the weeds
and are fortunate enough that the bugs don't find you, but it's highly
unlikely. On the other hand I guess " showpiece " is a rather subjective
adjective.

Peter H