Old 12-11-2003, 07:33 PM
Franz Heymann

Default honey fungus

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

Honey fungus spreads by underground rhizomorphs (bootlaces). It finds a
tree, enters via the collar at gound/soil juction, kills the tree then

uses
the dead wood as a sugar (food) source while it forages on via more
bootlaces. Or it finds a lump of dead tree and uses it in the same way.

It's one of our commonest fungi. How come there are still trees in the
UK? ;-)

I think - as I suspect you do - that it only attacks dead trees.

That's been our experience.

It's not in any parasite's interest to kill all potential hosts.

Unless it can thrive on the dead host as well. {:-))

Franz