Old 13-11-2003, 06:12 AM
Sherwin Dubren

Default Store bought vegetables

I have already resigned myself to eating the cardboard tasting tomatoes
in
my local produce stores, but now I am finding even the carrots taste
lousy. I still have some carrots growing in my garden which taste great
to me, but anything store bought is either tasteless or bitter. These
are
carrots with the leaves still attached, which should preserve their
flavor. I can understand the problem of shipping tomatoes, but what
excuse is there for carrots? Next year, I am going to plant an extra
large crop of carrots, say in mid season, so that I will have a supply
of
them for fall, and possibly in winter (I hear they can be harvested,
even
with snow on the ground).
I cannot help but wonder that we can put men on the moon, but we cannot
come up with a good tasting tomato that will hold up under shipment. I
do recall that many years ago, you could not even get certain vegetables
in the winter, so maybe we should just take what we can get.

Sherwin Dubren