Old 13-11-2003, 11:02 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Store bought vegetables

Sherwin Dubren said:

I have already resigned myself to eating the cardboard tasting tomatoes
in
my local produce stores, but now I am finding even the carrots taste
lousy. I still have some carrots growing in my garden which taste great
to me, but anything store bought is either tasteless or bitter. These
are
carrots with the leaves still attached, which should preserve their
flavor.

With the leaves still attached they are also potentially loosing water.
And they were probably grown somewhere warm and yanked while
still looking lush. (Carrots are much tastier after the frost has started
nipping the tops and signalled them to start storing sugars.)

I've been happy enough with the cello-bagged organic carrots available
locally that I've given up fighting voles and nematodes to grow my own.

(attributed to Don Marti)