Old 13-11-2003, 12:02 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Grub Worms

Peter H said:

Well all I can say is that in 10+ years of professional lawn care I never
saw a "showpiece" lawn that was maintained w/out pesticides. In theory is
suppose that it's possible as long as you've got the time to pull the weeds
and are fortunate enough that the bugs don't find you, but it's highly
unlikely. On the other hand I guess " showpiece " is a rather subjective
adjective.

"Showpiece" as in lush, green, and almost weed-free (most of the
weeds being tree seedlings, or at the margins by the flower beds).
As in casual visitors being impressed. As in my friends ask my advice
about lawns. Children have told me I have the greenest lawn in the
neighborhood. It appears to be mostly bluegrass, and I think it was
sodded by an earlier owner.

According to research (Michigan State), proper irrigation can protect
lawns from grub damage, as vigorous grass can outgrow the grub
feeding. So no, I haven't had much problems with grubs -- even when
some of my neighbors have had their lawns nearly wiped out. (They
follow the 'let it go dormant' school, generally, which lets the grubs win.)

I am constantly seeing lawns being abused by both homeowners and
professionals who mow too low. And far too many people don't realize
that one blade sharpening in the spring is probably not enough -- and
some of them don't even seem to do that much! You can do everything
else right, then destroy all that work with improper mowing.
--
Pat K. ('someplace.net' is comcast)

(attributed to Don Marti)