Old 13-11-2003, 01:13 PM
cat daddy

Default What's digging holes in my yard?

"Chris" wrote in message
Welcome to the wonderful world of armadillos. Pesky little varmits that

are
quite difficult to get rid of once they descend on your yard. They dig in
search of grub worms so I would suggest checking for and treating for

grubs
in your yard. Other than that you can use a variety of scents (wolf ****,
coyote urine, etc) to scare them off. Mostly blind, they find their way
around by habit and by smell.

You do realize that the wild animal urine and scent business is a
horribly inhumane operation for the animals involved?

"Brian Anderson" wrote in message
A whole village of little black dirt hills appeared in my yard
seemingly overnight. There must be 20-30 of them in one 10x12
area, most about three inches in diameter. There are similar
but smaller villages elsewhere in the yard.

I scraped some of the dirt hills away and found a small hole,
maybe 3/8" in diameter, under each one. It looks like the
hole of a burrowing snake or something.

What have I got? Is this thing harmful to the lawn, or does
its tunneling help aerate the ground? The areas it has chosen
to tunnel in are only sparsely covered with grass, so it
really can't do much damage unless it spreads to the healthier
areas.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.