Old 13-11-2003, 01:13 PM
animaux

Default What's digging holes in my yard?

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 17:11:00 GMT, Elliot Richmond
opined:

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 13:41:26 GMT, animaux
wrote:

I think we have a little guy. He snubs his way around and gently knocks things
over. I've done some things to keep out cats so they don't kill the birds, but
with a backyard wildlife habitat, I welcome the little dinosaurs!

What have you done to keep out cats? My neighbor's cats run loose and
I can't bring myself to call animal control.

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor

I went around the entire perimeter of the property and made sure they couldn't
get in UNder the fence. Patched it with whatever I had to, I used hardware
cloth in some places. Then, to prevent them climbing over the fence I bought
those really inexpensive one foot tall border fences. They are metal and have
tines which stick into the ground. I nailed that on top of the fence all the
way around, but on one side the neighbor has a dog and he keeps all cats out on
that side.

After I nailed it up, I bent it pointing downward so if a cat got up, it
couldn't or at least wouldn't risk being impaled. I've seen a cat try to get up
and back down. I think I have a photo...
http://home.austin.rr.com/animaux/ne...n/Page_6x.html

It's not a very clear photo, but it gives you the idea. This type without the
tines is on a gate. I used the ones with tines bent down at a 45 degree angle
along other parts where we would not be in contact with it. So far, not a cat
in the backyard, and I know they are around. It's never their fault, so I would
never try to hurt of punish them, but their owners are assholes. What can I say.