Old 13-11-2003, 01:13 PM
God Bless Texas

Default What's digging holes in my yard?

OK, it's late. Favorite squirrel story:

This occurred about six years ago when we still lived in town
(Rosedale/South Allandale). We had put "extenders" on our gutter downspouts
to get the rain water away from our pier and beam foundation. The
landscaping over the years (60 year old house) had built the yard up above
the level of the original underlying grade, and rainwater had tended to pool
under the house with interesting (very, but other story) consequences.

Anyway, I came home from work one day to find my wife and our male beagle in
the side yard. She was watching him terrorizing one of the downspout
extenders, to the point of crushing and ripping the end of the aluminum.

We talked briefly, and she told me that she had heard some noises from
within the drainpipe, although she did not know the cause. I asked her to
restrain the dog, and then removed the extender from the downspout (easy
because they were not riveted, so we could mow).

A little shaking and listening revealed that there was, indeed, an animal of
some type inside.

I took a relatively serious baseball-type swing with the pipe, which was
about 5 feet long, and launched one of the most surprised looking squirrels
I have ever seen about 30' across the back yard. His alarm lasted about 1/2
second beyond his landing, because the beagle had torn loose from my wife's
grip and was closing quickly.

No blood, no foul, but it was about the second or third most amusing
interaction with the wildlife we encountered while living in town.