Old 13-11-2003, 01:14 PM
Daniel B. Martin

Default Snakes

Including the legs, it had to be at least 2x3 inches big,
with what I guess you'd call a classic spider body --
small head portion, rounded body. It was primarily black
with very vivid yellow stripes and white accents.

This description fits the biggest Yellow Argiopes I've seen in my own yard.
Females are larger than males.

Here is another URL. This one has excellent, large-scale pictures.
http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordL...ack_and_yellow
_argiope.htm

The last picture at that site shows Argiope's characteristic zig-zag
signature in the middle of the web and her characteristic head-down posture.

Daniel B. Martin