Old 13-11-2003, 03:42 PM
paghat

Default Oxalis deppei - overwintering

In article ,
(SAS567) wrote:

My oxalis are still blooming, although the morning glories got killed
off by last weekend's cold weather. Will they survive in the ground or
should I dig them up? And if so, how should they be stored?

I think we're up to zone 6 now, 5 if the winter is cold.

Janine

I have 2 Oxalis plants, one with white flowers and light green leaves and one
with pink flowers and reddish green leaves. I put them out in the summer and
bring them back in the house in the fall. I put them in the basement with low
light and let them rest over the winter. I only water them 3-4 times all
winter.
Morning Glories are annuals so I've never dug them up to bring in. I replant
them every year.
Sue in Mi. (zone 5)

O. deppei is from a warmer climate & is a full-sun oxalis. In my zone (8)
it blooms continuously summer & autumn, dies to the ground in winter,
returns rather late in spring. I haven't gardened in such a chilly zone as
5/6 but I would expect it would be at considerable risk in zone 5. It is
generally recommended only for zones 7-10. It might survive colder if
planted close to a house & its spot heavily mulched for winter protection,
but I wouldn' count on it doing well. There are many wood sorrels that are
extremely winter-hardy but this isn't one of them.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/