Old 13-11-2003, 03:42 PM
Andy Rutledge

Default [IBC] New Bonsai Design Book

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Lewis"
The examples offered in photographs and graphics are good, but

the book is marred
by an overly strident and defensive style. IMHO.

------------------
Suggestion: Let's not go here . . . at least not on the list.
Jim Lewis

That's okay, Jim. Craig is right, in some measure. That's what I was
aiming at (the strident part) and the defensiveness is something that might
surely be inferred - if for no other reason than the stridency. Not that I
necessarily agree with that, but I'm biased.

I'm okay with that, though. Not so sure about the "marred" part, though. I
think perhaps "characterized" is rather a better word. ;-) JMO.

Fundamentals should be presented as a strict and narrow road. There can be
no room for much fluidity and malleability when learning "rules" (gosh I
hate that word). These were just the tip of the iceberg, the shallow end of
the art pool. There's so much more to this than could be covered in even a
very thick book. A series of thick books, maybe. But then, once you get the
basics down, there is little reason to go quantifying all of the myriad
variations and permutations that can embody artistry. That's part of the
point, I guess.

Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge
zone 8, Texas

++++Sponsored, in part, by Carl Rosner++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++