Old 13-11-2003, 05:02 PM
FDR

Default Store bought vegetables

I was reading an article a while back about vegetables going extinct. The
idea was that we want certain vegetables (or fruits) year round and don't
eat things that are in season. So, certain type of vegetables, since they
aren't in demand are not being grown. Some restaurants are trying to buck
the trend and make dishes that are seasonal.

I cannot stand supermarket tomatoes. And even when in season, home grown
broccoli and green beans still top the stores.

"simy1" wrote in message
om...
Sherwin Dubren wrote in message

I have already resigned myself to eating the cardboard tasting tomatoes
in
my local produce stores, but now I am finding even the carrots taste
lousy.

Besides what Pat said, I find non-organic carrots particularly
unpalatable.
At any rate, a good source of quality carrots is a local farmer
market. They have been frosted, and they have not traveled. I am going
this saturday to buy my usual three bushels of apples and 10-20 lbs of
carrots.
The carrots will last one month, and the apples into february.
The carrots from the market are close in quality to homegrown.

I still have some carrots growing in my garden which taste great
to me, but anything store bought is either tasteless or bitter. These
are
carrots with the leaves still attached, which should preserve their
flavor. I can understand the problem of shipping tomatoes, but what
excuse is there for carrots? Next year, I am going to plant an extra
large crop of carrots, say in mid season, so that I will have a supply
of
them for fall, and possibly in winter (I hear they can be harvested,
even
with snow on the ground).
I cannot help but wonder that we can put men on the moon, but we cannot
come up with a good tasting tomato that will hold up under shipment. I
do recall that many years ago, you could not even get certain vegetables
in the winter, so maybe we should just take what we can get.

Sherwin Dubren

Getting tomatoes in winter has been no progress whatsoever. There are
several vegetables which are good in winter, and wiser people will
limit themselves to those. My garden is fuller in the fall than in the
summer. If you want to harvest carrots through the winter, be advised
that the ground under a poly tunnel will not freeze. Last night strong
winds completely blew away my tunnels, however...