Old 13-11-2003, 07:02 PM
Tyra Trevellyn

Default Oxalis deppei - overwintering

From: jrstark
Date: Wed, Nov 12, 2003 8:59 PM

It's my first year growing Iron Cross oxalis deppei. I'm just southeast

of Chicago, about a mile or so from Lake Michigan.

My oxalis are still blooming, although the morning glories got killed
off by last weekend's cold weather. Will they survive in the ground or

should I dig them up? And if so, how should they be stored?

I think we're up to zone 6 now, 5 if the winter is cold.

Janine

Winter rest in a cool, low-light situation should be fine, but I overwinter
mine differently. I dig my O. deppei and pot them up to grow in a cool bright
window over the winter. The foliage dies down for a month or so (which seems
to be all the dormancy it needs), gradually comes back and the plants start
blooming again.....and increasing. In the spring I've got lots more to plant
out in the ground and containers for garden use.

I've never tried letting them go fully dormant (and I've never seen any I've
left in the ground come back in Zone 6b/7). If you have room to keep them
going indoors, try it. They make gorgeous houseplants. (You really could make
do with overwintering only a small pot of them, as they increase so reliably.)

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z7