Old 14-11-2003, 02:32 AM
Enuf

Default -cone flowers-

"Micah J. Mabelitini" wrote in message ...
animaux wrote:

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 22:36:15 -0800, "gregpresley" opined:

"Ann" wrote in message
.. .
(Enuf) expounded:

I have a large established bed of purple cone flowers. I recently
purchased some red and some white cone flowers also. I was told that
these colors come from hybrid plants, so my question is: Will they
cross polinate or will they retain their true colors? Anyone have any
experience with this?

I've yet to see a white variety of the coneflower that floats my boat. They
tend to be a muddy, tannish white, rather than a clear bright white. I agree
with the poster who suggests a shasta daisy or some other white daisy if you
want that color in a particular area of the garden. However, if you're
growing them particularly for the shape of the flower and using it in
arrangements or something, I guess that's different.

My 'White Swan' are a clear, bright white.

Do you live in the deep south or southwest? I would expect the albinos
to appear more white in hotter climates. Also, 'White Swan' tends to be
more white than 'Alba' and some of the others.

Micah Mabelitini

I do live in the south. The nursery where I bought my plants (NC) had
a large variety of echinacea, many of them with blooms. I was
impressed with the White Swan because it's blooms were pure white so I
decided to try them.

Enuf