Old 14-11-2003, 02:12 PM
jabee

Default need advice populating our new property

Oops, I wasn't done and bumped the mouse.

For the open areas you might try to establish a little "praire patch".
Mix wildflowers seeds with a low growing "patchy" grass like Blue
gramma. If you've got a sunny area the native ornamental bunch
grasses are gorgeous. Lindhiemer muhly, Indian grass (needs deeper
soil), Gulf muhly and Mexican feathergrass come to mind. A swath of
Inland seaoats or Sideoats gramma would provide interest and be
terrific for wildlife.

You're place sounds like Eden (except for the greenbriar),,,enjoy!

This website has an interactive database of local plants with soil
requirements and wildlife value, maybe it will help,
www.HillCountryGardens.info