Old 14-11-2003, 04:22 PM
simy1

Default Store bought vegetables

"FDR" wrote in message . ..
I was reading an article a while back about vegetables going extinct. The
idea was that we want certain vegetables (or fruits) year round and don't
eat things that are in season. So, certain type of vegetables, since they
aren't in demand are not being grown. Some restaurants are trying to buck
the trend and make dishes that are seasonal.

I cannot stand supermarket tomatoes. And even when in season, home grown
broccoli and green beans still top the stores.

I suppose that native american winter veggies may face possible
extinction. However, there are many other parts of the world where
tradition is followed. While living in France for one year I developed
my taste for chicory, for example. You can go to an outdoor market in
february and find freshly picked veggies. Not a tremendous selection,
but just as healthy as their tastier summer counterparts. Likewise, in
this country cider apples are no longer grown, but they are still
thriving in the UK or France (and you can still find them near
abandoned homesteads here too).