Old 14-11-2003, 07:22 PM
brianflay

Default Whats the difference between a cultivar and a species?

Peter,
The above answers are all correct, in their own way, but many are so
academic that if you are any the wiser then you did not really
need to ask the question!!
More simply [I hope]~~ Take an apple such as Golden Delicious which is,
as are all apples, of the species 'sylvestris' ie, Malus sylvestris. The
Golden Delicious is thus a cultivar/ variety of apples and can only be
propagated by grafting or budding to retain the genetical makeup. Sow the
seeds from the apple and all the seedlings will differ but will still be M.
sylvestris~~but not Golden Delicious. With luck [similar to winning the
lottery] one of these might be worth propagating [asexually] and would then
be a new cultivar which you could name!!
I hope this helped. As a matter of interest [or not] the above apple,
grown locally, is well named other than it is neither golden nor delicious!!
I have however seen it growing in other climates where it well lived up to
its name.
Two organisms are of the same species if they can sexually produce
offspring which are themselves capable of similar reproduction. Every
sexually produced offspring will differ to some extent [as do people] but
will be of the same species. To confuse the issue~ 'identical twins' are
produced asexually!!
Best Wishes.
"Peter Jason" wrote in message
Please help.