Old 14-11-2003, 08:42 PM
David Kershaw

Default Germinating Magnolia Seed

Hi Philip, they were bright scarlet when I first collected them (now they
have dried to a deep dark red), they are shaped like a flattened haw hip,
hard with a thin covering of tissue.
Regards David
"Philip" wrote in message
m...
"David Kershaw" wrote in message

Thanks Chris, I will try that with some of the seed.
Regards David
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 20:03:56 -0000, "David Kershaw"
wrote:

for the first time in twenty years my magnolia tree has produced

seed. I
live in Yorkshire and would like to try and germinate the seed, do I

heed
any special conditions or advice? Do I heed to plant the seed now or

cool
it

David

Are the seeds 'nut like' in appearance, maybe the size of a small Cob
nut. I recall getting some pods on my Magnolia 5+ years ago, but I
think the squirrels got them before they were ripe.